We are canning newbies. For all the love of eating and living local, I have never canned before today. We’ll be cataloging our efforts today over on Instagram and following the live webcast from Jarden Home Brands for International Can-It-Forward Day. You can follow along here too by clicking on the video below. It starts at 10 am today and will include demonstrations from celebrity chef Hugh Acheson, Marisa McClellan from Food In Jars, and craft ideas for ways to use mason jars for home decor. I hope some of you can step out of your comfort zone and try something new in canning to help preserve the in-season harvest! Enjoy!
On Saturday August 16, Jarden Home Brands will host the first annual International Can-It-Forward Day with special guest renowned chef and Bravo’s Top Chef judge, Hugh Acheson! A day to celebrate home canning, International Can-It-Forward Day allows food enthusiasts to connect via a variety of online and in-person activities.
New and experienced canners can participate in a live webcast on www.freshpreserving.com, taking place on the ground in the Brooklyn Borough Hall Farmers Market, filled with canning demos where viewer questions will be answered in real-time by Chef Acheson and other experts while they learn the most popular (and delicious) home canning recipes. Twenty five farmers markets across the country will also be hosting Can-It-Forward Day celebrations!
In addition to the canning demos, there will also be segments on crafting, herb gardening and the brand’s new drinkware line! Ball Brand will also be attempting a Guinness World Record for the World’s Largest Mason Jar Mosaic!
As part of the International #CanItForward Day, you can enter a giveaway for some amazing products from Jarden Home Brands, makers of Ball canning products.
A Life in Balance | The Vintage Mom | Real: The Kitchen and Beyond | Crafty Garden Mama
Jarden Home Brands/Ball Canning
Follow: Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube
One Lucky Reader will win:
- The New Limited Edition Spring Green Heritage Collection Jars - These limited edition jars commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the Ball brothers’ “Perfection” Jar and come in a beautiful green tint. These are being produced only in 2014 and are available in both pint and quart varieties. (Pint retail value: $9.99 per case/ Quart retail value $12.99 per case)
- Fresh Herb Keeper – Many new to gardening start with herbs as an easy first step. To savor the seasonings, Ball has developed a new product to keep herbs fresh for up to two weeks. (Retail value: $12.99)
- Dry Herb Jars - A perfectly-sized solution for storing your dried herbs. Great for storing seasonings, spices and rubs too! Stackable, low-profile design makes pantry or drawer storage more efficient than old, mis-matched containers. (Retail value: $4.99)
- Frozen Herb Starters – Preserve your fresh seasonings in ready to use cubes filled with butter, oil or other liquid for easy and flavorful meal starters. (Retail value: $11.99)
- 5 Blade Herb Scissors – Stainless steel blades to gently cut and evenly slice herbs like basil, parsley and cilantro. (Retail value: $9.99)
- Ball Blue Book – Offering 125 pages that will guide you while you learn about preserving, this book provides information on equipment, instructions for the preserving method and recipes! (Retail value: $6.49)
a Rafflecopter giveaway
We can’t wait to see who wins and stay tuned later this week for my own adventures in canning. Do you can or preserve your harvest at home?